Sunday, July 13, 2014

YouTube & Picasa

Tonight I have experimented with some of the features of YouTube and Picasa.

YouTube

I'm sure many of you have used YouTube at least once or twice. As an educator, YouTube can be both  rewarding and a major headache. There are many educational videos out there for teachers to show students. However, those videos come with advertisements, comments, suggested videos, etc. Luckily, there are two sites that work in tandem with YouTube to address this problem: TubeSnack and QuietTube.

TubeSnack allows the user to create custom playlists from links to videos on YouTube. I love the idea of TubeSnack because I can create a bookmark to my videos that I use frequently. This makes it much easier for me to access the videos in a quick manner while scrolling through them quickly. Here is a link to an example of a TubeSnack playlist that I created to review daily skills with my kindergarten kids (alphabet sounds, numbers, counting, etc).

Curious on making your own? Watch the video below to learn more:


My favorite part about TubeSnack is that you can play the videos without the advertisements and comments on each video.

QuietTube also allows you to play YouTube videos without the comments and suggested videos. Here is a quick video on how to get set up on QuietTube



The only disadvantage I see of QuietTube is that there is still a small advertisement that still plays at the bottom of the video while it is playing. 


Picasa
Picasa is a great tool used to organize, edit, and share your photos. My favorite thing to do on Picasa is to make photo collages. I made a sample photo collage of our 100 day celebration earlier in the school year. This is how it turned out:


Want to make your own collage? Download Picasa first from here.  Watch the video below to learn how to make your own:




Picasa is fairly simple to use and I would highly recommend it. It has many features that allow you to share your photos online with others. 

Have you used Picasa, QuietTube, or TubeSnack? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment